Wednesday, April 22, 2009

RT 2009, Day Two: I Signed A Laptop

Me at the Ebook Expo. Photo courtesy of Angela James and up on Twitter.

I miss my waterbed, but all things considered I slept fairly well last night. I was up at six, not exactly the quickest duck on the pond, but my eyes were open and I knew where the coffee pot was so I was good to go. Got out the door by a little before eight, loaded the scooter into the car, and headed off to RT. Got registered pretty quickly, for which I was grateful. It looked like they had everything well in hand.

I decided to skip the morning mixer, mostly because it occured to me that one of the events, the Samhain Bookseller event, was outdoors. I needed to make sure that I knew how to get the scooter from point A (i.e., airconditioned comfort) to point B (outdoors, next to the pool, with nary a hunk in sight. Le sigh.)

Oh! Wanna see the scooter? Someone actually recognized me because of the blog I wrote for The Samhellion about it:


Yeah, for those of you there, I was THAT crazy lady on the scooter. For those of you who weren't, yes, it occasionally listed to port. Those bags were full of BOOKS.

I went to the Samhain morning workshop where they talked about the publisher and answered any questions on submissions and what they're currently looking for. It turned out to be serendipity when I took one of their flyers, because all of them went pretty fast and I was able to give one of mine to someone who'd missed out.

Next was the hybrid paranormal panel, where they discussed the difference between urban fantasy and paranormal romance. What I got out of it was that there seems to be a difference of opinion on the subject. Me, I think it's an urban fantasy if there's no promise of an HEA. If there is the promise of an HEA, and even better if its fulfilled, then it's paranormal romance.

LUNCH! They ran out of lasagna (pout) but because they did they paid for my lunch. Wasn't that sweet? I'll have to try them again when they HAVE lasagna!

Off to the Men in Menage panel. I learned that there are two types of menage readers: those who don't really care if the guys have a little somethin' goin' on, and those who SQUICK-EEP-EW! over the very thought of manbits touching manbits. Me, I'm kind of an equal opportunity reader (and writer: just check out Very Much Alive!) but I get that not everyone is.

The Samhain Booksellers event was fun. I got to sign some totebags, and a copy of Hunting Love. There's something wierd and wonderful about signing a tote bag or a book, and knowing that someone is going to treasure that, a feeling that was even bigger when I did the Ebook Expo. Someone asked me to sign their laptop.

Their laptop.

Can you imagine? I texted Dusty immediately, it was such a Squee! moment. And I hope that if that person reads this blog that they know they made my day.

Off to Target for tea mugs (because Target didn't have tea cups), a not-so-quick trip to McD's, and back to my room to fill you all in on my day after blowing good night kisses to my sons over the phone. I'll be late posting tomorrow (possibly as late as Friday), since the Fairy Ball is tomorrow night. However I will make it up to you with a picture of a dork in a red corset with fairy wings.

Yes, me. Who else would pair a red corset with black and purple fairy wings?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are having a great time Dana! I get to live vicariously through you, so please do continue posting your adventures!!! We miss you at the Cafe!

molli said...

It sounds like you are having a fantastic time! I'd have you sign MY laptop too, but its black and signature probably wouldn't show up well.
hugs
molli

Dana Marie Bell said...

I signed someone's address book, and it was black. I have a silver magic marker for just such occasions. :D

Favorite Quotes

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." Ron White

"So let me get this straight. You want me to kill the little guys, kill the big guys, crowd control those I can't, buff the team, debuff the boss, keep myself alive, AND keep you alive, all while waving a stick and dressed in a towel?" - Anonymous Role Playing Gamer

"I think that statue over there is a statement on modern life. The statement is, "Well, shit." - Varric, Dragon Age II

"Why is it all claws and guns? Can't we piss off a fuzzy planet? Still dangerous, but hey. Bunnies." - Joker, Mass Effect

"Last night, I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?" - Dilbert


"Aim at the high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, not the second time and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting for only practice will make you perfect. Finally you'll hit the bull's-eye of success." - Annie Oakley

"It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." - Flemeth, aka The Witch of the Wilds, Dragon Age 2

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.'” - George Carlin

"I hear there's a wild bridge tournament down the street. And you know Bridge. It's a lot like sex. If you don't have a great partner, you'd better have a good hand." Barry Weiss, Storage Wars

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5, "A Late Delivery From Avalon"

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“If you think you can or think you cannot, you are correct.” - Henry Ford
Powered By Blogger